Our deck framing is complete! We worked all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday and got it all finished. The inspector came out on Monday and said everything looked fine except he wants us to add more nails in a few spots. I'm glad it's nothing major! We will address his comments this weekend. Then we'll start looking into water proofing for the upper level because we want to make storage space under it so we want it to be as water-tight as possible. Here's an idea of what we are thinking for keeping the rain out of the area under the deck: http://trexrainescape.com/
Friday we put the finishing touches on the upper level, constructed the 2 beams and 10 support posts for the lower level and began cutting the joists for the lower level. Saturday we finished about half of the joists. The framing for the lower level was a bit more complicated because we have a one-foot cut-out for the top of the steps and a 3 foot, 45 degree angle "bumpout" overhang on the side.
|Lower level. Cut out in the middle is where the step will go.|
Sunday we finished all of the joists and put on all of the finishing touches (end boards, straps, bracing blocks, etc).
|Adding bracing blocks.|
|Sunset view from our deck! I can't wait to sit out here with a glass of wine on a hot summer night :)|
P.S. Power tools are awesome.