A lot of the Irish Potato recipes you will find on the internet use cream cheese, but REAL Irish Potatoes do actually have potatoes in them! Here is my recipe for authentic Irish Potatoes:
REAL Irish Potatoes
1 baking potato
1.5-3 lbs confectioners sugar (the amount you need depends on the size of your potato. I usually wind up needing a little more than 2 lbs for a large potato)
1 (7 oz) bag of coconut
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 pinch salt
1. Bake potato at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until soft. Then peel the potato and place in a bowl. (Note: The potato needs to still be hot when you start mixing).
2. Mash the potato with salt, butter, and vanilla.
3. Slowly add the confectioners sugar. (You will be amazed what happens when you start mixing in the sugar... the potato mixture turns watery... crazy chemical reaction!)
4. Keep adding confectioners sugar until the mixture is very firm. You really need to add a lot... it should be the consistency of cookie dough or even a little firmer. If you don't add enough sugar, you will have wet IPs.
5. Mix in coconut.
6. Roll into balls and coat with cinnamon.
7. Let sit overnight and ENJOY!
1. I usually make half of the batch without coconut so I'll roll the first half then just add a 1/2 bag of coconut to the rest.
2. They actually get better after sitting for a few days, so you can make them well ahead of time. I just store mine at room tempature in a cookie tin.