Joss & Main Exclusive online private sales for the home
Showing posts with label interest rates. Show all posts
Showing posts with label interest rates. Show all posts

Thursday, August 2, 2012

NVR Rate Lock-in Options


It seems like NVR has not been clear with some people on their options for locking in their rate.  I'm not surprised, because they didn't tell us about it until we pushed them for an option to lock in early if we wanted (and even then they "strongly suggested" that we wait until a month before our settlement date to lock in... but I like to make my own decisions, so I didn't listen to them :)).  Even after they explained the process for locking in early, I was still confused.  It wasn't until I actually started asking our Loan Officer for rates that I understood how it works, so I figured I'd write a post to try to clear things up for those of you who haven't locked yet.
 
You can lock as much as 150 days out, there's just a difference in the rates and/or points you have to pay to get those rates, but they give you options.  When asking for your rates, just ask your loan officer for 60 and 90 day lock rates to see the difference.  I emailed my Loan Officer once every few weeks to get rate quotes in the beginning.  Then when rates really started to drop, I emailed her every day.  We decided early on that if we could get 3.75% for no points, we would lock.  (I'm the kind of person that needs to make a plan and stick to it, or I drive myself crazy trying to make a decision). 
 
Here's an example of what the difference was for us between a 90-day lock and a 60-day lock on the day we locked in.   By the way this is exactly what my LO would send me when I emailed her for the rates.  Luckily my LO was awesome and always got back to us within a few hours.
 
90 day (expires 10/24)
3.25% - 1.25% discount pts
3.375% - .375 disc pt
3.5% - lender credit of .5%
3.625% - lender credit of 1.125%
3.75% - lender credit of 1.5%
3.875% - lender credit of 2%

60 day (expires 9/24)
3.25% - .875 discount pt
3.375% - 0 disc pts and no credit
3.5% - lender credit of .875%
3.625% - lender credit of 1.5%
3.75% - lender credit of 1.875%
3.875% - lender credit of 2.375%
 
For example, if your loan amount (house price minus down-payment) was $100,000 and you chose the 3.375% 90-day lock, you would have to pay $375 (0.375 pts) at closing to receive this rate.  If you did the 3.375% 60-day lock, you would get that rate at no cost.  The lender credit just means they give you that money at closing. 
 
We would up doing the 3.625% 90-day lock so we will be getting about $3,000 credit at closing.  We chose that so we would have some extra cash available after closing.  We were between 3.625% and 3.5%, and even though we are less than 60 days from our estimated closing date, we chose to do the 90-day lock to be safe just in case something happened that pushed back our settlement date (there's my worrying coming into play again).  The difference between those two rates over the life of our loan was about $7,500 (difference of $20 in our monthly payment).  So basically we are "financing" that $4,500 ($7,500-$3,000=$4,500) in order to have that $3,000 lender credit right now.  Our thinking is that we need the money more now that we will in 7 years, which is the break even point between those two rate options.  Normally I am against unnecessary financing of any kind, but this just seemed to make sense for us.  (Hopefully this post is making sense too... the more I write the more confusing it sounds!).  

Keep in mind that if you don't go to settlement before your lock expiration date, you automatically get the higher of either the rate on the day of your settlement or the rate at which you originally locked.
 
I hope this helped some of you who are still in the early stages!  Happy rate-watching!

Friday, July 27, 2012

Locked and Loaded.

Ok, maybe not so much "loaded", but more loaded than we were before we locked.  We got 3.625% with 1.125% lender credit at closing (about $3,300).  Sweeeet!

I have to admit, I wanted to lock about a month ago when rates dropped to 3.75% (with no lender assistance), but Greg convinced me to wait it out.  I was a little a lot nervous because rates temporarily went up shortly after that, but I'm glad I trusted my husband and we wound up with an even better rate and some extra cash at closing.

Reason #432 why I love him: "Good at money stuff."

This process is going so quickly!  Almost time to break out the bubbly!!!


Monday, June 4, 2012

To Lock, or Not to Lock?

Has anyone locked their interest rate with NVR before the 60 day pre-settlement period?  We are considering it.  Actually, I wanted to lock today but my husband talked me out of it... something about the government doing or announcing something on Thursday that could cause rates to drop even more... I hope he's right :/.  Mortgage rates are currently the lowest they have EVER been and we could have locked in today at 3.75% at no cost or paid 1.125 points to lock in at 3.5%!!  Is it just me, or is that really low?!?! 
 
We are supposed to settle in September.  Our pre-construction meeting is next week and construction is supposed to start the week of the 18th.  If we locked now at those rates, it would take us to the end of October so we'd have at least a month of flex in case things get delayed.  Our NVR rep is trying to talk us out of locking so far ahead, but my feeling is that no matter how long we wait there's a very slim chance of rates going lower than they are now, and given my tendency for stress and anxiety it would likely save me a lot of sleepless nights this summer if we just locked and got it over with.  Our original estimate was quoted at 3.875% and for all of my personal budget calculations I have been using 4.0%, so we're improving either way.  And what if we waited and wound up with something significantly higher? 
 
Ahhh... there's so many decisions involved with building a house!
 
What do you think... would you lock or wait?