Joss & Main Exclusive online private sales for the home

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Our Bad News Turned Into Good News!

Our bad news turned into good news over night!

First I will tell you the bad news as if I hadn't heard the good news yet, so you can get the full effect:

We got a ceiling fan rough-in in our beautiful morning room cathedral ceiling.  Here's a picture of the ceiling fan in the model home's morning room:

Gorgeous (well, maybe not the actual fan, but the idea of it).
Here is where we found the electrical box for our ceiling fan rough-in at our meeting yesterday:

The black circle is where our ceiling fan rough-in will be.
WHATTTT?!?!?  It's about 18" off-center!  PM says that's the way it needs to be in order to be able to properly drywall in the peak of the ceiling there.  I am sure I would have noticed if the model home's fan were that far off center, so we took a walk over to the model home to check it out and lo and behold, that one is centered.  See the small box at the base of the fan where it's connected to the ceiling?:


PM says yesterday that to get this box would be a non-standard request to RH and we'd most likely have to pay extra for it.  The other option (which is actually how the plans specify it) would be to make about a 6" flat area along the whole length of the cathedral ceiling.  So just about where those two blue lines are in the picture below, it would be flat, instead of peaked all the way across.


I call false advertising!!!  How can they show it one way in the model home and not tell you that yours will be different and/or you'll have to pay extra to get it that way?!?!  PM says he will call the "powers that be" and see how much it would be to get it the way it is in the model home.  Otherwise, he wants to know if we'd rather have it off-center the way it is now, or center it and make the top of our peak flat.  I was at a loss because that cathedral ceiling is one of my favorite parts of the house so I didn't want to mess with that.  But how the heck would it look to have a fan more than a foot off-center?  The problem was that I couldn't picture how either would look and which one would be worse.  I'm not even sure if I ever answered him on that yesterday, but...
.
.
.

PM called today and they are going to do it the way the model home is at no cost!  Yippeee!

AND...

We can get the intake pipe for the heater for $180.00.  Done!  I can stop worrying now (for the moment :)).  

Good news all around and in a timely fashion.  Thank you PM!


Side note: I didn't even notice the off-centered ceiling fan when we walked through (neither did Greg).  My dad picked that up (thanks Dad!!).  Moral of the story is bring as many eyes as you can to your inspection meetings!

17 comments:

  1. WOW...so glad that worked out to your benefit. Can you explain this intake pipe thing to me again...I may be interested in asking the PM about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if I understand this correctly if you get a finshed basement you do receive the intake pipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct. If you are getting a finished basement they have to put the intake pipe in (at least in our area, but it seems like something that would be a requirement everywhere).

      Delete
  3. WOW!! Great SCORE for you on the ceiling fan!! What is the intake pipe for--clueless??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, Colette I need you to come to my pre-drywall meeting! Just kidding...you're really good at what you do and I will definitely send you a message prior to our walk-thru so I'm prepared! Can you explain this pipe thingy for the basement again. We're not finishing our basement now either but will do it later, should I ask for the same pipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I'm just very anal about things that's all! I'll do a post just about the hvac intake pipe thing tomorrow to try to explain it better.

      Delete
  5. That's awesome. So glad they were so accommodating and in such a timely fashion!

    Have to say that I am really really pleased with RH so far (on track for those 10s), but my only true lingering complaint/suggestion is that they need to do a better job with their models. It would be much better if they clearly identify what's an upgrade, and don't add anything that's non-standard. Provide us a list or walk us around room to room if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my husband a while back that I think each room of a model home should have disclaimers! There should be a list of everything that's not standard. They wouldn't even have to mention the price since that changes so often! It's just a pain because you can't assume anything when planning your home. For instance, ceiling lights in bedrooms. You would think that's standard but it's not!

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with that...model should indicate what is an upgrade and what is standard

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised he would even mention that it might cost more! Seriously? It's a little piece of wood! I would have been all like, "Here's $0.50. Now go fix it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. exactly! I was trying really hard to be patient with him in hopes that he would come through for us. Luckily it worked out or I would not have been a happy camper.

      Delete
  7. So, we weren't the only ones off-center! I am glad that they were able to correct it. What is the intake pipe for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to check the morning room at my new house tonight. I just checked my current MR. The peak does not come to a point. It has about 1 foot of flat ceiling where the points come to each side of the flat ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you post a pic of that on your blog? I'm building the Jefferson, with the same peaked morning room, and we've asked for the ceiling fan rough-in as well. I hope they can make it like the model home (without charging us extra), but I'd like to see how the flat ceiling looks as well.

      Delete
    2. I'd be interested to see that as well... I couldn't picture what it would look like.

      Delete
    3. I just posted a picture here: http://ryanhomesjourney.blogspot.com/
      I have a flat surface on my current Courtland and my new Avalon.

      Delete

I am so thrilled that you stopped by and I loooove comments! Leave me some love and I will respond shortly. Peace and love – Colette.