Joss & Main Exclusive online private sales for the home

Monday, February 4, 2013

Focus on the Family Room

Do you ever find it difficult to focus on one project at a time? We have so much empty space and random decor from previous houses in our home right now that I'm just jumping from room to room trying to update things. But I'm finding that I just wind up with several partially-finished rooms and no completely finished rooms. I am going to try to change that. 

I'm not delusional enough to think I'm actually going to succeed in channeling all of my efforts to one room, but I'm sure going to try!  My plan is to focus on the family room and only do projects in other rooms if they are essentially free.

Here's my "to-do/wishlist" for my family room:


We finally decided on and ordered couches last weekend. This is what we went with:

Don't pay attention to the pillows, I plan to get rid of them.
The furniture layout will be just about the same as a model of our house with two couches in an "L" shape opposite two accent chairs, like this:

I want to do my paint color scheme similar to this too.
Here are some of the things I want for the family room:
 
1. Coffee and console table something like this.

2. Two accent chairs... here are my options: Option 1, Option 2, Option 3, Option 4, Option 5 and Option 6.  I LOVE the target one, but I'm afraid the pattern won't work with some of the other patterns I already have in the room and/or won't be flexible in case I want to change something up in the future.  And as far as the gray options, I'm afraid it will wind up being too similar to the couches, but not exact, so it will look like a failed attempt at matching.  So I guess I'm leaning toward either the navy, peacock, black or really light gray one, but I can't decide!!  Any input is very much appreciated! 

3. Fake fireplace like this one on the wall opposite the couch (behind the two chairs):
 
http://www.buildingsimpleblog.com/2012/11/dining-room-makeover.html
I'm also working on a photo gallery which will go on that wall until we get around to building the "fireplace".  More on that to come!
 
Please share any thoughts... I'm totally open to suggestions!

14 comments:

  1. Love the couch! I like the chairs too. I think my favorite color is the velvet peacock. There is something rich, warm and timeless with those colors. And I agree, I can't seem to focus on one room too. I feel like my new house just looks aight...slang for alright:-) I think it is because there isn't a theme and I did just put in previous furniture/decor into the home. But it looks like you're getting there... so keep plugging away. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your chair options. Have you tried World Market? They have similar styles, but have a ton of different fabric choices. Www.worldmarket.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes cami world market has some great buys! thankfully there is one about 10 minutes from my job #lunchstroll :)

      but they have really funky little unique items and they are reasonable which is great. even better the quality is good.

      Delete
    2. No I have never shopped on world market... thanks for the tip! I am checking it out now!

      Delete
  3. I love the couch...we almost got the same set from Ashley!... Knowing the color of the couch, I think the gray chair would be a nice match if you incorporate some light gray pillows on the couch too! I love the target chair too...but I'm not sure if the colors will go together!...great choices... Can't wait to see the pic of your finished family room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have confirmed it... the target chair is out!

      Delete
  4. believe it or not i actually did this by accident. my morning room is 98% finished i'm waiting on literally ONE last piece and i've completed a room hahahaha. i don't know y i can't seem to focus on one room at a time tho :-/ A.D.D.??? good luck hun your selections look awesome! can't wait to see the final product

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the couches! I can't wait to see the projects as you complete them.

    We are kind of all over the place right now, but we've only been in the house for about 3 weeks. We have nothing as far as pictures, decorative things, etc. so we are starting with a blank slate... and we are so indecisive about what direction we want the rooms to take. Hopefully we'll figure it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your choices are great, but that couch is the deal. We are doing similar grey paint/ furniture colors with bold accent colors like orange and turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. We got it from ashley, but I saw it at two other smaller furniture stores in PA too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, its beautiful! I love the arms on that couch and the color you did a great job!

      Delete
  8. I got very similar couches. Except mine are more of a grayish blue instead of a bluish gray.

    That Target chair is a bit of a kick! Why not use it as a little accent piece in another room - maybe the bedroom? You did use gray on that headboard you made, didn't you? I love the pewter and the light gray chairs. Do you have to get both chairs the same color? I'm always moving accent chairs around the house in different places - bedroom, office, family room, front room, different bedroom. So far I have not lugged them down to the basement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the paint color scheme of the family room. It has a cozy feel to it.

    ReplyDelete

I am so thrilled that you stopped by and I loooove comments! Leave me some love and I will respond shortly. Peace and love – Colette.