Joss & Main Exclusive online private sales for the home

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Family Room: Before and After

Greg's going to kill me for using this picture :). 
It's the only "before" shot I have showing the whole family room I swear!
 
At last, 14 months later, the family room is finally finished (for now)!!  It took me over a year to finish ONE room in our house.  At this rate it's going to be a longggg time before the whole house is done.  But when I look at the before and after pictures, it really has come a long way.  And of course there have been other small and large (the deck!) projects during this time too.

I was going for a rustic/traditional style with this room.  I'm not really an "earthy-tones" type person; I favor cooler grays and I reallllly love distressed wood.  I have also been really into pops(!) of color lately and have been going mostly with orange, teal and lime green.  [I didn't purposefully copy Young House Love's color scheme, but maybe I subconsciously got my inspiration there.]  Knowing how often I change my mind I kept most of the "pops" to easily changeable accessories. 

Here's more photos of the finished product (there's some other photos on Part 1 of the Family Room Reveal)!
 
 

 
 
 


chalkboard-wall
My chalkboard wall between the morning room and family room, which displays my
"wishlist" and current projects with % complete for each.  Nerd alert!


DIY-burlap-curtains
Are you tired of seeing these chairs yet?  I have been told by people who shall remain nameless that I might be going a little overboard with the chair sharing.  What can I say... I'm in love!

Another "before" angle

...and after
 

This is a semi-custom piece from Howard Miller furniture, which I've had
forever and get so much use out of.

Here are some photos of one final area that I'm still not sure what to do with.  I plan to do something like this in the space next to the couch.  I can't figure out what to do decoration-wise on the wall behind the couch.  I like the pictures I have there, but I don't think they take up enough vertical space and look kind of lost on this wall.  I can't decide whether to add another row, mount them on wood backing similar to this, or just scrap the frame idea and try something totally different.  Any ideas??




Source List:
Burlap Curtains and Galvanized Steel Rods- DIY
TV Console - Custom from Martin's Furniture in Lancaster, PA
Deer Head - West Elm
Metal Circle Wall Art - Kohls
Gray and Orange Poufs - Target
Black Basket with Rope Handles - Pier 1
Metal Stool - Joss & Main
Chairs and Couches - Ashley Furniture
2 End Tables with Chairs and Sofa Table - Joss & Main
Tall Black Wine/Misc Storage Unit - Howard Miller furniture
Coffee Table - Ballard Designs
Gray Leapord Ottomans and Table Lamp - American Signature Furniture
Pillows - Joss & Main
Clock - Joss & Main
Orange Throw - West Elm
Green Throw - Crate and Barrel 
 
 
I'm linking up at House of Rose, the Humble Brag, the Blissful Bee and The Golden Sycamore go check them out!

14 comments:

  1. Colette what size curtains do you have up there? Your family room looks amazing! After...hmmm 14 months i've only managed to nearly complete my office :) Cuz you know, that's most important. And may you pleeeassse give us a closeup of your backsplash in the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asia - the curtains are 100" long. I don't think that's a standard size, which it part of the reason I decided to make them.

      Delete
    2. I was struggling with what to put up. I think I have 95 inchers now, I tried to go traditional with 85 inchers on the first floor and it drove me crazy. Good idea to just make them they look great I'm rehanging ALL of the bedroom curtains at the start of the new year.

      Delete
  2. it looks awesome!! and yes, I noticed the backsplash in the kitchen too, please do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't blame you. I, too, am in love with your chairs. Like, totally, head-over-heels, in love with your chairs. Not to mention the rest of the room. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *colette* congratulations on making consistent movement with your home. I understand the challenge when you love interior decorating. Just so you know, the color orange represents creativity. I love the orange and playing with the color as our pop of color too. I just love how it makes me feel when I look at the color. I have also been searching for the perfect location for the chalk board wall. I have wanted one for a very long time and our kitchen may not get it, it may have to go into my study.

    I absolutely love your "LOVE AREA" in your family room with the chairs. It is so personal and intimate (no one is allowed to sit there except you and Greg lol). Can't wait to hear the backsplash story. It looks great.

    You are right! You do get to create the balance and symmetry in your space on the wall and a couple of other locations. It would be nice to see fuller/taller plants next to your love area and wall with the small pictures. The wall near the window could use some love too. You may want to consider a HUGE plant/mini tree for that space.

    If you really love the mini pictures, I would consider two rolls and if that doesn't seem to work, you may want to try three rolls OR one very large picture over the sofa and drape the small pictures on the empty wall next to the window. So many ideas are swirling around in my head right now because there are so many options to dress that wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions! I love the idea of some bigger greenery next to the "love area" (love that term!!) and maybe even a tree between the couch and the window... that area definitely needs something big. I like your ideas for the pictures too... any ideas where to buy nice oversized art at a reasonable price? Thanks again for your thoughts!! My blog friends are the best :)

      Delete
  6. looks great! love your color combos and that chalkboard wall. perfect for that little spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! What "paint" did you use for your chalkboard wall? I want to create one in my sons' play room! #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! We just used rustoleum chalkboard paint from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-30-oz-Flat-Black-Chalkboard-Paint-206540/100141287). We used black, but they also have a kind that you can have tinted different colors.

      Delete

I am so thrilled that you stopped by and I loooove comments! Leave me some love and I will respond shortly. Peace and love – Colette.