I forgot to take pictures of each step, but here's a quick rundown on what I did:
8' 1"x4" select pine board
Pocket-Hole Jig Kit & screws
Stain (I used Miniwax Dark Walnut)
Stencils (I cut my own using my Silhouette Cameo Cutter)
Sawtooth picture hanger
1. Cut your board into 4 equal lengths, about 22" long.
2. Glue the boards together and secure with clamps. Let dry for an hour or two.
3. Use your pocket hole jig to screw the boards together in the back.
5. Stain, then let dry for about a day.
6. Apply your stencil and paint. I cut my stencils on adhesive-backed paper to make it easier).
7. Let the paint dry overnight then remove your stencil.
8. Lightly sand over the painted words and corners to give it a rustic look.
9. Add something on the back for hanging, and you're done!
I think there's something special about a home-made gift... and it's much cheaper than buying something custom made, so it's a win-win!
*This post contains affiliate links*
I'm linking up at these great parties... go check them out: